Tuesday 28 April 2015

Islaahi Correspondence | Letter Ten | Debts




Bismillahir Rahmaanir Raheem

LETTER TEN

Debts

Question


Respected Maulana
As-Salaamu ‘alaikum wa-Rahmatullah

I am caught up in major debts. I have a weakness of purchasing on credit, thinking I can cover my expenses in the months which are interest-free. However, I am now in debts, ‘over my head’ and don’t know how to come out. Is there any wazeefa which I can read?


Reply

Bismihi Ta’ala

Dear Brother,

Wa-alaykumus Salaam wa-Rahmatullahi wa-Barakaatuhu


1.)   Cut down the credit cards. Do not purchase unnecessarily. Live within your budget. Get rid of surplus assets by selling – whether car, furniture or other material possessions, and pay off. 


2.)   Read the following Masnoon Dua for easy payment of debts –

اَللّٰهُمَّ اِنِّيْ اَعُوْذُبِكَ مِنَ الْهَمِّ وَ الْحُزْنِ وَ اَعُوْذُبِكَ مِنَ الْعَجْزِ وَ الْكَسْلِ
 وَ اَعُوْذُبِكَ مِنَ الْجُبْنِ وَ الْبُخْلِ وَ اَعُوْذُبِكَ مِنْ غَلَبَةِ الدَّيْنِ وَ قَهْرِ الرِّجَالِ

"O Allah, I seek protection in You from all worries and grief, and I seek protection in You from helplessness and laziness, and I seek protection in You from miserliness and cowardice, and I seek protection in You from overpowering debt and from the high-handedness of men.”


3.)  We are all travellers on a long journey home – to Jannah, Insha-Allah. This world is just a stop en-route. We are all in transit until we board the flight of death.


A Muslim is thrifty with his time in the world, knowing that preparation has to be made for the journey ahead, and not in amassing the material things of this world. Whilst we make use of the things of this world, we should not give our hearts to them and become negligent of our purpose in this world.


4.)  Curb your spending by limiting your visits to shopping centres. Go when necessary and just to those shops that have the items needed. Do not window shop or visit every shop and get caught by the temptation to spend unnecessarily. What you do not see, you will not desire.


5.)  May Allah Ta’ala make it very easy to pay off all debts.


Was-Salaamu alaykum wa-Rahmatullahi wa-Barakaatuhu
Yunus Patel (Maulana)