Monday 31 August 2015

Islaahi Correspondence | Letter Fourteen | Jealousy?


Bismillahir Rahmaanir Raheem

LETTER FOURTEEN


Jealousy

Question

As-Salaamu ‘alaykum
Respected Maulana Saheb,

My problem is that I do not like to see my brother get ahead in good deeds. For example: There is a strong resentment when I see him engaged in Zikrullah, listening to Islamic lectures, reading Islamic literature and so forth. Basically, I do not like to see him doing any good deeds. This gets so strong that many times I do not do good deeds in the fear that he will see me and start doing the same. For example: I would want to read Qur`aan Shareef but I would not, in fear that he will see me and start doing the same.

This is a daily occurrence and I am thinking that it may be Hasad, even though not related to worldly issues. It is with ‘A`maal’. Please help me cure this disease.



Reply

Bismillahir Rahmaanir Raheem

Dear brother in Islam,


Wa-alaykumus Salaam wa-Rahmatullahi wa-Barakaatuhu


1.)  Yes, it is Hasad (jealousy). Why burn your heart? You should be happy that your brother is setting a noble example and you should emulate him, or yourself do good deeds that he will emulate. If he copies you in good deeds, all those deeds become yours. You will get the reward for all his deeds as well. SubhanAllah! How generous Allah Ta’ala is!


2.)   Hasad destroys your own good deeds – so ultimately you lose out. Allah Ta’ala grants Taufeeq and we make Dua that Allah Ta’ala grant us the Taufeeq to also do more good deeds, with Ikhlaas and acceptance.

Hasad is being unhappy with the decisions of Allah Ta’ala and what He grants to people. If there is desire for the same bounties, make Dua that Allah Ta’ala blesses you also. So for yourself, make Dua to be blessed with such obedience as well.


3.)   Be happy for him. Praise him, within limits, on his efforts. And be grateful that Allah Ta’ala blessed you with a brother who is good company – and not a brother who is taking you to sins.



Was-Salaamu alaykum wa-Rahmatullahi wa-Barakaatuhu

Yunus Patel (Maulana)